I found myself trudging through the bright wasteland of our local chapter of Sam Walton's monument to consumerism yesterday. My plan was to quickly make my escape after gathering motor oil and a filter. I quickly found what I needed and made my way to the cashiers. There were some open self service positions, but after previous experience with the self service devices, I'd hoped to find a traditional cashier. As I walked, I crossed paths with a man slightly older than myself with a handful of merchandise. He was also looking for a way out. As I passed him I heard him grumble under his breath, "f*cking Wal-Mart's a pain in the ass." It brought a smile to my face. In a few words he articulated the paradoxical relationship many of us have with the biggest retailer in the world. We curse as we hand our money to them. Over time the pain fades and we return for more.
It is like so many other things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment