Friday, August 31, 2007

Texting

I was recently forced into purchasing text message privileges from my cell phone carrier by my daughter. The plan was inadequate to meet her texting needs so I upgraded to a higher level yesterday. I am confused by the need that young people seem to have for sending these short messages back and forth. What are the long term implications of this? How does one change when they are able to instantly share their feelings without the benefit of reflection? I put the question to my students and they (along with my daughter) insisted it was important. The recent overage my daughter experienced was a result of a "crises" one of her friends was experiencing in a relationship. A phone call wouldn't work because her friend was at work. Never mind that his attention was diverted at least as much by texting as it would have been by a phone call. It seems that texting can be hidden. I suspect many students spend time texting in class.

I am on the far side of a generational divide at last. I sort of understand cell phone madness. But I honestly do not understand texting. I also find myself watching the evening news. I fear the divide will only grow. I can live with that.

No comments: