We are distracted by: cell phones, text messages, web surfing, video games, television, books, magazines, each other, music, pets, love, housework, family, religion, and of course, our own mind. We are even distracted from our distractions. Television commercials, Internet advertising and magazine ads divert our already diverted attention. We are distracted because we want to be distracted. It may be what keeps us sane and manageable. Imagine a world of engaged, focused humans. If we really saw and understood what was happening around us how would we react? Would it be a world of social justice and common sense? Or a world of shrill short-sighted self interest. Since we already seem to have the latter, I would hope for the former.
I have always been deeply suspicious of the marketing industry. I don't think advertisers spend money unless it works, and I believe marketers have become quite good at convincing us we need certain things. Perhaps I should be grateful. The world we live in and the technology I am using at this moment may not exist were it not for the consumer lust at the heart of our economic system. This modulated greed keeps the wheels turning, and perhaps more importantly, it keeps us distracted.
Saturday, June 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment