What is the most precious thing that we have? Time. We spend, burn, kill, and waste it. We mark its passage with variety and precision. We celebrate moments we believe are significant and barely notice most of it. When I was in my early schooling my report card had a section where my use of time was judged. I believe it was something like "uses time wisely." As I reflect on this I assume that wise use of time would have been working diligently in class, paying attention to the teacher, being prepared for class, and all the things that we have decided are important to being a good student. I propose a rating system for use of time as an adult. Each activity will be evaluated on a scale of 1-10 based on my current values.
Reading a book (10)
Reading the newspaper (8)
Watching Television (program dependent) reruns are worth 50%
- anything on NPR (8)
- The Simpsons (10)
- HBO Series (8)
- Episodic network shows (lost, heroes, etc.) (6)
- News (7)
- Sitcoms (5)
Films
- Foreign films (9)
- Popular films (7)
- Classic films (status as classic defined by me) (9)
Physical activity
- Walking (10)
- Running (10)
- Biking (10)
- Anything that requires movement and motion (10)
Eating
- While watching television (1)
- Food made by someone I don't know personally (2)
- Food made by myself or someone I know personally (8)
Housecleaning (5) (it's just going to get dirty again)
Fixing things that are broken (8)
Home improvement activities (7)
Talking to family members (10)
Mental puzzles (crossword, sudoku) (10)
Financial planning and management (10)
Driving (5)
Quiet meditation (10)
Shopping (5)
Music (playing or listening) (10)
Sleeping (8)
Working (at home or at work) (7)
Leaning something new (10)
Aimlessly surfing the Internet (8)
Comments?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's wonderful dad. It sounds like you live a very rich existence and that you are fond of "episodic" tv programs. Keep on bloggin'.
Post a Comment